ONE DAY SEA KAYAKING ADVENTURE
Experience Costa Rica's remarkable west coast from the unique perspective of an ocean kayak.
Be one of the first to experience Calypso Cruises new tour, our Sea Kayaking Adventure.
Transportation is provided directly from your hotel in San Jose, Jaco or Manuel Antonio to our dock in Puntarenas. There you will board Calypso Cruises own custom built, modern, catamaran, The Manta Ray, for a relaxing ride to the Punta Coral Private Reserve. Here you will meet Vigdis (Vicky) from Bahia Rica Adventures, your professional kayaking guide to begin your tour.
Paddle in calm waters past fascinating islands where you can go ashore on untouched virgin beaches. Investigate the diverse marine life of the reef from the unique vantage point of your kayak.
The Dry Tropical Forest actually grows right into the sea. By paddling close to shore, you have a once in a lifetime opportunity to view this endangered forest close up and the possibility to see the wildlife that inhabits the area.
Our sea kayak adventure will take you to many special places where you may encounter various animals like monkeys, lizards, iguanas, birds, turtles, butterflies and many different fishes.
Your guide, Vigdis (Vicky) from Bahia Rica Adventures, has a degree in physical education and sports management and will ensure you have an exciting and also safe trip. The kayaks are Dagger Specter sit-inside sea kayaks with rudder and storage compartments. These kayaks are very stable and easy to paddle.
The area close to Punta Coral is scattered with islands and many interesting places offering a variety of routes. The itinerary we choose will depend on the tide, season and the level of experience of the particular group of kayakers.
EXAMPLE 1 – AROUND ISLA CEDROS
Leaving from Punta Coral, we paddle over to Playa Langosta on Isla Cedros. Here we will stop for a brief rest and enjoy some tasty Calypso Ceviche (typical Costa Rican dish).
We continue to a small island in the bay called Isla Garrobo (Lizard island). This is a great photo opportunity as the island is, true to its name, inhabited by a large amount of lizards and iguanas.
The trip continues around Isla Cedros where we very often encounter Howler Monkeys. On the far end of Isla Cedros we kayak through a small passage between Cedros and Isla Jesusita.
The sandy bottom here attracts a variety of rays; such as sting rays, spotted eagle rays and cow nose rays easily viewed form your kayak. From there we can relax and let the current bring us back along the south side of Isla Cedros to Punta Coral where a lovely sea food lunch will be served.
EXAMPLE 2 – AROUND ISLA NANSITAL
Just a short paddle from the main beach at Punta Coral, we take our kayaks around the eastern point of the Peninsula of Nicoya to go ashore on a secret little spot of land, Isla San Pedro.
At high tide the island is a mere rock sticking up in the water but at low tide, a small but beautiful beach emerges. The rocky area around the beach is great for snorkeling. There are numerous tide pools and on the island where you can find fish, crabs and even moray eels.
After enjoying Calypso's famous ceviche appetizer, we continue to Isla Nancital, or Monkey Island as it is often called. Here we have a good chance of encountering the endangered Spider Monkeys. After we pull our kayaks up onto the beach, the Spider Monkeys will come down from the hill tops to our kayaks and you will get a chance to interact with them.
After a brief visit, we will continue around the island through Boca de Tiburón, the passage between the two islands. On the south side of Isla Nansital, we often spot Ridley or Leatherback Turtles and manta rays. On the way back to Punta Coral, we will again kayak past Isla San Pedro. A delicious seafood lunch will be served upon arrival back to Punta Coral.
- Maximum 7 persons and a minimum 2 persons
- All kayaks are Dagger Specter with rudder and storage compartments. Five are 15 feet and two are 14 feet
- The kayaks are sit-inside sea kayaks which are very stable and easy to paddle
- If the tour is with inexperienced people, we will have a safety demonstration on the beach before departure
- The route of the tour will vary depending on:
- Direction of the current Wind
- The level of experience of the kayakers
- Time of the year (in the dry season we can encounter the monkeys at Isla Nansital for example)
- If the kayakers want, there is the possibility to go snorkeling, but it depends on the tide and current
- We provide life jackets that must be worn
- The kayakers need to bring: sun block, sunglasses and a hat
WHAT TO BRING:
- Casual clothes
- Bathing suit and shorts
- Suntan lotion
- Sun glasses
- Tight fitting hat
- Light weight long sleeved shirt
- Rubber sandals or tennis shoes.
- Don't forget your towels!
- Extra Cash for: Alcoholic beverages, souvenirs, tips.
- *High heeled or hard sole shoes are not permitted on board
YOUR TOUR INCLUDES:
- Air-Conditioned Bus Transportation to and from San Jose, Jaco, Quepos / Manuel Antonio and Monteverde
- Multilingual Guide
- Typical Costa Rican Breakfast
- BBQ lunch served with Chilled White Wine
- Juices, Sodas and Fresh Fruits
- Live Music
- Sea Kayaks
- All safety equipment
- One day Kayajing Adventure from Punta Coral - (minimum 2 persons - maximum 7 persons) $220 per person
- Minimum of 2 persons and maximum of 7 persons so make your reservation now!